Round 1 is in the bag and what an exciting week of Football it was! Some huge AFL Fantasy scores posted and some big GPP collects in the AFL DFS community!
Before we completely shift focus to Round 2 (that once again starts Thursday) let’s quickly review some of the action from Round 1.
Stat-line Of The Week
It’s pretty hard to go past Tommy Mitchell’s ENORMOUS game on Saturday night against the Pies.
An AFL record 54 disposals, 8 marks, 8 inside 50’s, 9 clearances and 27 contested possessions!
While we probably shouldn’t be surprised by his stubbornness, could Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley possibly dig himself a bigger hole on the issue?
“He was best on ground, let’s be clear, but it has been overblown about how significant his performance was in the result.” Nathan Buckley opens up on Tom Mitchell’s 54 disposal effort | https://t.co/jSw1KESKcN | #AFL pic.twitter.com/9f3dK7z9CG
— SEN 1116 (@SENNews) March 28, 2018
Clarkson thoroughly outcoached Buckley on Saturday night and with obvious frustration setting in alongside a growing injury list, the pressure is firmly on the Pies as they face a dominant GWS team this weekend.
Weekly AFL Fantasy News
- It was a good tipping week across the board with eight of nine favourites winning in Round 1
- Round 1 top AFL Fantasy scorer was Tom Mitchell with 156 points (see T10 below)
- Buddy Franklin was the top Supercoach scorer for the week (see T10 below also)
- PlayUp is making moves! They have acquired Draftstars from CrownBet and are in the process of doing an ICO. These guys look to be the most active DFS/Fantasy players in Australia and are investing heavily into Crypto/Blockchain space.
AFL Fantasy Top Scorers Round 1
1. Tom Mitchell 156
2. Lance Franklin 155
3. Stephen Coniglio 146
4. Dyson Heppell 145
5. Jarrod Witts 140
6. Bryce Gibbs 139
7. Max Gawn 138
8. Jack Steven 133
9. Justin Westhoff 132
10. Patrick Cripps/Luke Parker 130
AFL SuperCoach Top Scorers Round 1
1 Lance Franklin 175
2 Tom Mitchell 167
3 Kade Simpson 150
4 Luke Parker 149
5 Blake Acres 144
6 Dyson Heppell 142
7 Justin Westhoff 140
8 Max Gawn 139
8 Dustin Martin 139
10 Rory Laird 137
AFL Fantasy Casualty Ward
- Tom Liberatore (Bulldogs) ACL, this time on his other knee (he did the same injury in 2015). Hard to see him playing any further part in Season 2018.
- Matt Kruezer (Carlton) keen an eye on this niggling groin injury. He played through it but didn’t look comfortable against the Tigers. Looks set to play against the Gold Coast but must come with a small DFS warning stamp.
- Zach Merrett (Essendon) was concussed again in a well-documented clash with Richard Douglas (below). While he looks set to play this week it is an issue that could really reach the boiling point if he cops another knock.
- Paddy Ryder (Port Adelaide) suffered a serious Achilles injury that may see him miss up to 6 weeks. With the Swans, ruck stocks somewhat depleted Port would have fancied themselves in the big clash this weekend but without Ryder, it certainly squares the ledger and will be a brutal battle between two quality midfields.
— Adelaide Crows (@Adelaide_FC) March 24, 2018
Draftstars 50k Super Saturday!
Huge Easter Saturday AFL DFS tournament from Draftstars covering four games. Click the image below to enter.
Burning AFL Fantasy Question/s
How quickly can Nic Natanui get back to his best?
Nic-Nat only had the one preseason match (in the WAFL) before his Round 1 appearance against the Swans where he had 12 disposals, 33 hit-outs, and 92 fantasy points. He did all that while playing just 54% of the game on the ground!
Rucks often take a lot of time to recover from longer-term leg injuries but we know how much of a freak athlete Nic is. Maybe he’ll return to being one of the comps premium fantasy rucks sooner rather than later.
AFL Fantasy Tweet Of The Week
A harsh but fair self-assessment from Pete Hong!
— Pete (@PeteHong86) March 24, 2018
How’d you go in all of your AFL Fantasy competitions over the weekend? Feel free to share your stories and thoughts for the upcoming week with us on Twitter!
Until then, happy coaching!